For first-year students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents whose enrollment will contribute to a diverse learning environment
- Iowa residents—$2,000 to full undergraduate tuition
- Nonresidents—$2,000 to $8,000
- Amount may increase based on demonstrated financial need and the completion of financial aid documents by May 1st. Aid documents include Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), Iowa Verification Form and signed and dated copies of parent and student tax returns for the prior year.
- Minimum Requirements: The award is based on merit (test scores, GPA, class rank). Criteria may include one or more of these: student's race/ethnic background; socioeconomic factors; whether the student is a first-generation college student (parents have not graduated from college); participation in a federally funded Upward Bound program.
- Application Process: None. Students are considered automatically upon admission.
- Renewal: You can receive this award for up to four years or until you receive your bachelor’s degree (whichever comes first), providing you maintain continuous full-time enrollment and a 2.50 cumulative UI GPA.
- Additional Requirements: Meet with a staff member from the Center for Diversity & Enrichment once in your first semester. Attend a minimum of three programs approved by the Center for Diversity & Enrichment each academic year. Two must be approved by the Center for Diversity & Enrichment and one can be self-report. These programs may be academic, cultural, or social in nature and are open to all community members. Register and successfully complete any one of three courses during your first semester of enrollment: The College Transition, a First-Year Seminar, or an Honors First-Year Seminar.
Advantage Iowa Approved Event Request form
Please complete this form to request approval of your event as qualified Advantage Iowa event.