Storm Lake Scholars
This is a diversity outreach, need-based scholarship for first-year, first-generation college students from Storm Lake Senior High School in Storm Lake, Iowa. For consideration, students must apply for admission to the University of Iowa, complete the scholarship application on the Iowa Scholarship Portal, and submit the FAFSA by December 1 of their senior year of high school. The online application consists of an essay question and providing the name of a person (teacher, counselor, or mentor) who can provide a letter of recommendation on the student's behalf.
This scholarship is renewable for an additional three years or until a bachelor’s degree is conferred (whichever comes first). The following requirements must be met to maintain eligibility:
- Be a first-generation college student (no parent/guardian obtained a 4-year college degree);
- Demonstrate financial need;
- Be a graduate of Storm Lake Senior High School;
- Enroll in and attend the Iowa Edge Program - This is a four day orientation for selected minority and first-generation students;
- File the FAFSA each year by the filing deadline, if eligible for federal aid (DACA students must establish residency for Iowa tuition purposes);
- Maintain continuous, full-time enrollment and a minimum 2.0 University of Iowa cumulative GPA;
- Attend required monthly meetings with the Storm Lake Scholars Program Coordinator and Faculty Advisor; and
- Become an active member of the TRIO Student Support Services Program, if eligible.