Stepping Into Edge
Today is all about orientation. Students moved into their residence halls, and have come to the Iowa Memorial Union to check into the Iowa Edge program. Before the first program at 3:30pm students and their families helped themselves to refreshments and moved around the room to learn about many resources at the Mini-info fair.
A huge thank you to our campus partners showed up to hand out materials to the students!
- The University of Iowa Libraries
- Center for Diversity & Enrichment
- Housing & Dining
- Student Disability Services
- Academic Support and Retention
- College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
- The University of Iowa Student Government
- Student Legal Services
- Student Health and Wellness
- Center for Student Involvement & Leadership
- Women’s Action & Resource Center
- Henry B. Tippie College of Business
- Office of Student Financial Aid
- The University of Iowa Alumni Association
- International Student and Scholar Services (Study Abroad)
Afterwards, everyone was welcomed to the University of Iowa by Dr. Nadine Petty, the CDE’s Director.
Not too long after that the edgers had the chance to be introduced to their Peer Leaders. Peer Leaders are trained to provide a person-centered, community-centered orientation to university life the week before classes begin for students who face challenging issues of transition. Iowa Edge peer leaders directly address and positively impact these students’ rates of persistence, retention, and graduation. To learn more about the Peer Leaders please view the Peer Leaders tab on the Iowa Edge website.
At the student orientation Dean of Students Lyn Redington shared wise words, and welcomed edgers into the Hawkeye family. Soon after there was a flash mob, and no there’s no video. However, if you are one of the cool people who follow us on snapchat I’m sure you’ve seen it already.
Follow our journey on the CDE snapchat: