Engaging Across Cultures: Culture in Academia
The session will create an opportunity for graduate and professional students to learn more about fostering an intercultural campus at their colleges and departments while honing skills that will carry into the future workplace. Content will include subject matter of interest which help graduate and professional students better navigate in academic settings.
Participants are invited to bring their lunch to the session.
Participants who attend this session will be able to:
- skills to recognize their own culture (s) and how their cultural lens influences their interactions
- skills to identify colleagues’ characteristics and working styles to foster effective communication
- techniques for developing and applying intercultural skills in academia, including in the classroom, lab, or research group
- strategies to enhance intercultural communication and understand the needs of second language learners
- strategies to advocate for themselves in different professional settings
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to attend all University of Iowa-sponsored events. If you are a person with a disability who requires a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in this program, please contact Brandon Paulson in advance at 319-335-0335.