The Advantage Iowa Award is given to incoming first-year students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents and who are from historically underrepresented populations (African American, Hispanic, Native American, Pacific Islander, Multiracial) at the University of Iowa; or who have participated in a federally funded Upward Bound program. Once awarded, to retain your Advantage Iowa Award, you must meet the following requirements:
- Maintain continuous full-time enrollment at the University of Iowa.
- Maintain a 2.0 cumulative and semester University of Iowa grade-point average at the end of each semester.
- Earn 12 credit hours in the fall and 12 credit hours in the spring. If you drop below 12 credit hours in any fall or spring semester, you will not be eligible for scholarship renewal.
- Meet once each semester with a staff member from the Center for Diversity and Enrichment (CDE) during your first year.
- Meet with an academic advisor in accordance with program requirements based on your undergraduate major. Students enrolled in CLAS are expected to meet with their CLAS advisors 3 times in the fall and 2 times in the spring.
- Enroll in and successfully complete an approved freshman seminar or college transitions course.