This document was modeled after the California State University Diversity Style Guide.
The University of Iowa Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Style Guide Committee members who worked to adapt the guide for use at Iowa include:
- Alex Boston, senior marketing writer, Office of Strategic Communication
- Brian Ekdale, associate professor, School of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Claire Fox, professor, departments of English and Spanish and Portuguese; chair of the Department of English
- Lois Gray, director, Office of Strategic Communication in the College of Education
- Jennifer Janechek, lecturer, Department of Rhetoric
- Carlos Nelson, academic coach, Center for Diversity and Enrichment
- Mark Petterson, former assistant director, Judith R. Frank Business Communications Center in the Tippie College of Business
- Tabitha Wiggins, interim director, Center for Diversity and Enrichment; associate director, Multicultural and International Student Support and Engagement
- The group was led by Tricia Brown, director of internal communication, Office of Strategic Communication.
In addition, input was provided by various members of the UI Diversity Councils:
- Path Forward Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Collaboration Committee
- African American Council
- Council on Disability Awareness
- Council on the Status of Women
- LGBTQ+ Council
- Latinx Council
- Native American Council
- Pan Asian Council
This guide was created with the understanding that many of the topics and sections will evolve, as will the guide. Those using this guide are encouraged to ask questions, offer suggestions, and note omissions.
Please don’t hesitate to email Tricia Brown at email@example.com.