The Advantage Iowa Scholarship is a merit-based scholarship for incoming first-year students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents and who are from historically underrepresented populations (African American, Hispanic, Native American, Pacific Islander, Multiracial) at the University of Iowa; or who have participated in a federally funded Upward Bound program.
If awarded, you will be eligible for the AI Award for four years or until you receive your bachelor’s degree (whichever comes first), as long as you meet the renewal criteria specified below. The Advantage Iowa Award is granted independently of other academic awards and may be added to other awards you receive.
How to Apply
There is no application. Students are awarded based on their admission application information. The award is listed on a student’s initial financial aid award offer.
Your Advantage Iowa Scholarship may be discontinued if you do not meet all of the following:
- Maintain a 2.0 UI cumulative grade-point average and a 2.0 semester GPA each semester.
- Maintain continuous enrollment each fall and spring semester.
- Earn at least 24 semester hours each academic year.
- If enrolled in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS), meet with your Academic Advising Center advisor twice in the fall semester and twice in the spring semester during your first year. Students enrolled in other colleges should meet with their academic advisor as required by their college.
- Meet once each semester with a Center for Inclusive Academic Excellence Academic Coach or TRIO SSS Success Coach (if you are a TRIO SSS participant).
- Enroll in and successfully complete a First Semester Academic Experience course during the first semester of enrollment.
- File the 2023-2024 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To be considered for need-based Advantage Iowa, file the FAFSA by the December 1st priority deadline each year.