This is a need-based scholarship for first-year, first-generation college students from Storm Lake Senior High School in Storm Lake, Iowa.
For consideration, students must apply for admission to the University of Iowa, complete the scholarship application on the Iowa Scholarship Portal and submit the FAFSA by February 15 of their senior year of high school.
The online application consists of an essay question and providing the name of a person (teacher, counselor or mentor) who can provide a letter of recommendation on the student’s behalf.
To reiterate, you must be a graduate of Storm Lake Senior High School to be considered for this scholarship.
This scholarship is renewable for an additional three years or until a bachelor’s degree is conferred (whichever comes first). The following requirements must be met to maintain eligibility:
- Be a first-generation college student (neither parent obtained a 4-year college degree)
- Demonstrate financial need
- Be a graduate of Storm Lake Senior High School
- File the FAFSA each year by the filing deadline, if eligible for federal aid (DACA and undocumented students should contact Financial Aid directly at 319-335-1450)
- Maintain continuous, full-time enrollment and a minimum 2.0 University of Iowa cumulative GPA
- Attend required monthly meetings with the Storm Lake Scholars Program Coordinator and Faculty Advisor; and
- Become an active member of the TRIO Student Support Services Program, if eligible