Individuals who bring forward a complaint or report of misconduct have the right to expect:

  • To be treated with dignity and respect.
  • To be informed about the policies and procedures available to address misconduct.
  • To be informed of options for notifying law enforcement.
  • To be notified of counseling and support resources as well as the right to request disability accommodations and language translations at any stage of the resolution process.
  • Preservation of privacy, to the extent possible and permitted by law.

In cases that proceed to a formal grievance process, complainants may additionally expect:

  • The right to have up to two advisors providing support and assistance throughout the resolution process. 
  • A prompt, thorough, reliable, equitable, and impartial response, investigation, and resolution.
  • To know the relevant and directly related evidence obtained and to respond to that evidence.
  • To be notified of the outcome at or near the same time as the respondent.

For a complete list of procedural rights afforded to parties, see the Section 4.23(ag) of the Interim Policy on Sexual Harassment and Sexual Misconduct.


If you feel unsafe, trust your instincts and seek assistance.
In an emergency, dial 911. RVAP's confidential 24-hour victim hotline number is (319) 335-6000. 

Safety Planning

We encourage people to work with a victim advocate (listed below) or threat assessment professional to discuss the particular risks and concerns associated with their situation. Still, sometimes people are reluctant to talk about their fears or experiences with someone they don’t know. Fortunately, the following online resources offer helpful information for safety planning.

  • DVIP Safety Strategies: Safety planning for victims of dating and domestic violence
  • myPlan App: A tool to help with safety decisions if you, or someone you care about, is experiencing dating or domestic violence
  • RAINN Safety Planning: Safety planning for victims of sexual misconduct


Some services provide free transportation to students. 

  • Nite Ride is a free service provided by campus police that gives students of all genders an alternative to walking home alone late at night. 

Resources for Victims of Crime

IowaVINE is a free resource for receiving information about the custody status of offenders. You can call IowaVINE at 1-888-7-IAVINE (1-888-742-8463) to receive information through an automated information system. You can also go to to register for automatic telephone, text, or email updates when there is a change in an offender's custody status.

The Crime Victim Compensation Program is a program of the Iowa Department of Justice Office of the Attorney General. It helps victims with certain out-of-pocket expenses related to injuries from violent crime, or crime-related expenses such as medical care, counseling, lost wages, and funeral expenses (when costs are not covered by insurance or other sources).

The Johnson County Attorney's Office Victim Witness Assistance Program published the Information for Victims and Witnesses pamphlet.

The Safe at Home program is an address confidentiality program that provides survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, trafficking, stalking, or violent crimes, with a substitute address.

Safety concerns might also be addressed through supportive measures (listed below) provided by the university.

The Office of Civil Rights Compliance is not a confidential resource. Connecting individuals with confidential, supportive resources are among our primary concerns. 

Victim Advocates

An advocate can confidentially answer questions, provide information about options, and help with safety planning. Advocates can also serve as an Advisor to a Complainant and be present for any meetings related to a university resolution process or criminal complaint.


The university provides various options for free and confidential counseling for community members.

Consultation and Conflict Resolution

The Office of the Ombudsperson provides information in a confidential setting about university policies and procedures. The office can also help with informal resolutions without a formal complaint, including mediation. 


A sexual assault medical exam ensures:

  • Physical injuries that may have occurred are promptly identified and addressed.
  • Victims may receive medication for the prevention of STIs.
  • Evidence may be collected by a sexual assault nurse examiner and preserved for a criminal investigation or university complaint now or in the future.

Sexual assault medical exams are administered by nurses who have received special training through the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) program. The cost of the exam is paid for by the Iowa Attorney General's Office, Victim Assistance Section. Forensic evidence may be collected up to 120 hours after the incident occurs. 

UIHC Emergency Treatment Center: (319) 356-2233

UI Health Care Downtown Campus: (319) 339-3600

Supportive measures are individualized services offered as appropriate and reasonably available to both Complainants and Respondents prior to an investigation, while an investigation is pending or where no investigation has been requested. Supportive measures are non-disciplinary, non-punitive and may not unreasonably burden the other party. Examples include:

  • Counseling
  • Extensions of time or other course-related adjustments
  • Modifications of work or class schedules
  • Mutual restrictions on contact between the parties
  • Changes in work or housing locations
  • Leaves of absence
  • Facilitating requests regarding student financial aid
  • Increased security and monitoring of certain areas of campus
  • Immigration and visa assistance
  • Other changes to academic, living, dining, transportation, and working situations

Supportive measures will be individualized based on the situation. The measures needed by each party may change over time, and the OCRC  will communicate with parties to ensure that any supportive measures are necessary and effective based on the parties’ evolving needs. An individual may request to receive support – including the measures mentioned in this section – even if they do not choose to participate in a university resolution option.

The Office of Civil Rights Compliance (OCRC) is a resource for anyone wanting to learn about resolution options described in the Policy on Sexual Harassment and Sexual Misconduct. Working with Complainants and Respondents, OCRC aims to ensure that people: 

  • Understand potential options for addressing violations, including the Formal Grievance Process and Adaptable Resolution as described here 
  • Get help initiating an administrative resolution option 
  • Understand any administrative process that might already be underway 
  • Have support and are familiar with campus and community confidential resources 
  • Are offered and receive supportive measures (listed above)
  • Know their rights and what to expect from the university 
  • Receive regular updates during a formal grievance process  

OCRC does not provide legal advice. Individuals may choose to consult with an attorney at their own expense.  

Request a meeting with an OIE TIXGE Response Coordinator:

If you are an academic or administrative officer (AAO), you have additional responsibilities under University policy. Visit How to Help and view the Resources for Academic/Administrative Officers.  If you are not sure if you are an AAO, click here

OCRC makes every effort to provide prompt and effective responses to sexual harassment and sexual misconduct, but if you have immediate concerns please contact a 24-hour confidential resource (in the Confidential Resources above) or call 911.

Preserving Evidence

Physical evidence deteriorates quickly, so it's important to act quickly to preserve evidence. Even if you haven't decided whether to make a complaint, preserving evidence will keep your options open if you choose to pursue an investigation in the future. In the context of a Formal Grievance Process, Complainants and Respondents have an opportunity to provide testimony and present evidence to an impartial investigator.

General recommendations for preserving evidence:

  • Do not alter, dispose of, or destroy physical evidence.
  • Create a written record of the incident. Here's a journal template with prompts to help you record information that might be important in a criminal or administrative complaint process.
  • Think about people who were around before, during, or after the incident who might remember details, so you can provide their information to the investigator as potential witnesses. Use caution in speaking with others about the situation as the Interim Policy on Sexual Harassment and Sexual Misconduct prohibits retaliation.  
  • Preserve electronic communication, including text messages and social media posts, by saving them or taking a screenshot.
  • If you are a victim of stalking, maintain a log of stalking-related events and behavior.

Recommendations specific to sexual assault:

  • Get a sexual assault medical exam (see Medical Assistance above) from a trained Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner. It's recommended that you delay showering, bathing, brushing teeth, eating, drinking, or changing clothes until after the exam. Bring a change of clothes with you to the hospital.
  • If you must change clothes, store clothes and bedding that might be used as evidence in a clean paper bag. Do not wash them or put them in a plastic bag.

Criminal Complaints and University Resolutions

Administrative resolutions are separate and distinct from criminal complaints. City and campus police enforce laws and investigate alleged criminal activity. The university enforces policies and investigates alleged violations of university policy. Someone can face consequences through the university for violating university policy even if they are found not to have committed a crime. Additionally, the consequences for being found guilty of committing a crime are different from the consequences for violating university policy.   

See information for Police Assistance below.


If a formal grievance process results in a finding that university policy was violated, one or more sanctions may be imposed. Sanctions will vary based on the facts and circumstances of the particular case. Additional information about sanctions can be found in the Procedure for Alleged Violations of the Policy on Sexual Harassment and Sexual Misconduct and the Sanctioning Guidelines for Sexual Assault.

OCRC does not provide legal advice. Those involved in a university complaint resolution process may choose to consult with an attorney at their own expense. The following resources are available to those searching for an attorney in the Iowa City area.

Legal Resources

IowaCASA's Legal Department

  • IowaCASA helps survivors of sexual assault. For more information, email them at

Student Legal Services Attorney Referral List

  • Contains the contact information for law offices that have expressed interest in obtaining referrals

Iowa State Bar Association's Iowa Find-A-Lawyer page

  • A resource for finding a lawyer by type of law and city

Immigration Resources

In 2022, the University of Iowa received a grant from the Office on Violence Against Women of the Department of Justice (OVW DOJ).  One goal included in the UI grant proposal was to develop and provide a resource for immigration options to the campus community.  The resulting document can be accessed here, and the compiled information can also be referenced below.

VAWA - Violence Against Women Act (Protection for family of abusive US citizen, permanent resident or H-1B)

  • Protects spouse, child, or parent of an abusive citizen or permanent resident
  • Protects H-4 spouse or child of abusive H-1B visa holder
  • Proof of battery or extreme cruelty
    • Does not require physical injury.
    • Can show emotional or financial abuse or
    • Immigration-related threats or
    • Hyper-Controlling behavior
  • VAWA lets Survivors apply for green cards or work permits without the abuser’s consent or help.
    • Green card for family of citizen or resident
    • Work authorization for H-4s
  • Other VAWA protections may help
    • victims of trafficking
    • DV survivors with conditional green cards

U-Visa (For victims of serious crime who cooperate with law enforcement)

  • Immigration relief for a survivor who does not qualify for VAWA or who is out of status. For example:
    • Student visa, even if overstay
    • Family of visiting scholar or worker
    • B1/B2, even if overstay
    • Undocumented person
  • Process takes many years but can lead to work authorization and green card
  • Requires proof of substantial physical or mental harm
  • Requires law enforcement certification:
    • The survivor has information helpful to the investigation AND
    • Has cooperated with law enforcement or prosecutors.
  • Must be a victim of a "qualifying crime".  Examples related to sexual violence include:
    • Abusive Sexual Contact
    • Domestic Violence
    • False Imprisonment
    • Female Genital Mutilation
    • Felony Assault
    • Rape
    • Sexual Assault
    • Sexual Exploitation
    • Stalking
    • Trafficking

Contact information

  • Iowa Migrant Movement for Justice
    2024 Forest Ave
    Suite 101 PO Box 41006
    Des Moines, IA 50311
  • Iowa Coalition Against Domestic Violence (ICADV)
    4725 Merle Hay Road, STE 107
    Des Moines, IA 50322

    ICADV 24/7 Helpline: 800-770-1650
    OR Text "IOWAHELP" to 20121

Immigration and U-Visa Support in the Community

University of Iowa Student Legal Services: Provides high-quality free legal advice and legal representation to University of Iowa students. Student Legal Services can also refer students seeking a U-Visa to a private attorney and will pay for the initial consultation with the private attorney.

For more information or to schedule an appointment, students can e-mail or call (319) 335-3276.

Law Clinic at University of Iowa: Provides immigration advocacy for community members. The Law Clinic can represent juveniles and adults in deportation/removal proceedings and affirmative applications, including humanitarian relief, legal permanent resident status, and naturalization, and advocate on legal and policy issues affecting the civil rights of immigrants and their communities. Individuals can contact the Law Clinic via email at and by phone at 319-335-9023.

Iowa Migrant Movement for Justice (Iowa MMJ): Iowa MMJ provides high-quality immigration legal services- a foundational, necessary, and valuable service for individuals and families. Iowa MMJ regularly represents people or assists in application preparations for the following types of cases:

  • Family-based immigration, including petitions, adjustment of status, and consular processing.
  • Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals
  • Temporary Protected Status
  • VAWA (Violence Against Women Act immigration-related benefits)
  • U-visas
  • T-visas
  • SIJS (Special Immigrant Juvenile Status), including for Unaccompanied Minors
  • Asylum
  • Cancellation
  • Removal defense
  • Naturalization and Citizenship

Potential clients can call (515) 255-9809 for more information about immigration legal services or to make an appointment. To learn more, visit the Iowa MMJ website:

To make a criminal complaint or ask for police assistance:

Emergency: 911

Non-emergency: Non-emergency complaints should be made to the jurisdiction in which the incident took place.

On campus: 

  • University of Iowa Police: (319) 335-5022


  • Iowa City Police: (319) 356-6800
  • Coralville Police: (319) 248-1800
  • Johnson County Sheriff: (319) 356-6020
  • North Liberty Police: (319) 626-5724
  • University Heights Police: (319) 887-6800

Criminal complaints and university administrative complaints

Someone who experiences sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, or stalking may have options for resolution through both law enforcement and the university. 

City and campus police enforce laws and investigate alleged criminal activity. The university enforces policies and investigates alleged violations of university policy. These processes are different and may result in different outcomes and consequences. Police departments may also accept an information only report if someone does not want to move forward with the criminal complaint process. 

University policy provides the option for an Adaptable Resolution, which in some situations provides a way to address concerns without a Formal Grievance Process. You can learn more about administrative resolution options in the Policy on Sexual Harassment and Sexual Misconduct. OIE TIXGE can also provide additional information about resolution options. Call (319) 335-0705 or email us to make an appointment to learn more.