Individuals who bring forward a complaint or report of misconduct have the right to expect:

  • To be treated with dignity and respect.
  • To be informed about the policies and procedures available to address misconduct.
  • To be informed of options for notifying law enforcement.
  • To be notified of counseling and support resources as well as the right to request disability accommodations and language translations at any stage of the resolution process.
  • Preservation of privacy, to the extent possible and permitted by law.

In cases that proceed to a formal grievance process, complainants may additionally expect:

  • The right to have up to two advisors providing support and assistance throughout the resolution process. 
  • A prompt, thorough, reliable, equitable, and impartial response, investigation, and resolution.
  • To know the relevant and directly related evidence obtained and to respond to that evidence.
  • To be notified of the outcome at or near the same time as the respondent.

For a complete list of procedural rights afforded to parties, see the Section 4.23(ag) of the Interim Policy on Sexual Harassment and Sexual Misconduct.


If you feel unsafe, trust your instincts and seek assistance.
In an emergency, dial 911. RVAP's confidential 24-hour victim hotline number is (319) 335-6000. 

Safety Planning

We encourage people to work with a victim advocate (listed below) or threat assessment professional to discuss the particular risks and concerns associated with their situation. Still, sometimes people are reluctant to talk about their fears or experiences with someone they don’t know. Fortunately, the following online resources offer helpful information for safety planning.

  • DVIP Safety Strategies: Safety planning for victims of dating and domestic violence
  • myPlan App: A tool to help with safety decisions if you, or someone you care about, is experiencing dating or domestic violence
  • RAINN Safety Planning: Safety planning for victims of sexual misconduct


Some services provide free transportation to students. 

  • Nite Ride is a free service provided by campus police that gives students of all genders an alternative to walking home alone late at night. 

Resources for Victims of Crime

IowaVINE is a free resource for receiving information about the custody status of offenders. You can call IowaVINE at 1-888-7-IAVINE (1-888-742-8463) to receive information through an automated information system. You can also go to to register for automatic telephone, text, or email updates when there is a change in an offender's custody status.

The Crime Victim Compensation Program is a program of the Iowa Department of Justice Office of the Attorney General. It helps victims with certain out-of-pocket expenses related to injuries from violent crime, or crime-related expenses such as medical care, counseling, lost wages, and funeral expenses (when costs are not covered by insurance or other sources).

The Johnson County Attorney's Office Victim Witness Assistance Program published the Information for Victims and Witnesses pamphlet.

The Safe at Home program is an address confidentiality program that provides survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, trafficking, stalking, or violent crimes, with a substitute address.

Safety concerns might also be addressed through supportive measures (listed below) provided by the university.

OIE (TIXGE) is not a confidential resource. Connecting individuals with confidential, supportive resources are among our primary concerns. 

Victim Advocates

An advocate can confidentially answer questions, provide information about options, and help with safety planning. Advocates can also serve as an Advisor to a Complainant and be present for any meetings related to a university resolution process or criminal complaint.


The university provides various options for free and confidential counseling for community members.

Consultation and Conflict Resolution

The Office of the Ombudsperson provides information in a confidential setting about university policies and procedures. The office can also help with informal resolutions without a formal complaint, including mediation. 


A sexual assault medical exam ensures:

  • Physical injuries that may have occurred are promptly identified and addressed.
  • Victims may receive medication for the prevention of STIs.
  • Evidence may be collected by a sexual assault nurse examiner and preserved for a criminal investigation or university complaint now or in the future.

Sexual assault medical exams are administered by nurses who have received special training through the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) program. The cost of the exam is paid for by the Iowa Attorney General's Office, Victim Assistance Section. Forensic evidence may be collected up to 120 hours after the incident occurs. 

UIHC Emergency Treatment Center: (319) 356-2233

Mercy Hospital: (319) 339-3600

Supportive measures are individualized services offered as appropriate and reasonably available to both Complainants and Respondents prior to an investigation, while an investigation is pending or where no investigation has been requested. Supportive measures are non-disciplinary, non-punitive and may not unreasonably burden the other party. Examples include:

  • Counseling
  • Extensions of time or other course-related adjustments
  • Modifications of work or class schedules
  • Mutual restrictions on contact between the parties
  • Changes in work or housing locations
  • Leaves of absence
  • Facilitating requests regarding student financial aid
  • Increased security and monitoring of certain areas of campus
  • Immigration and visa assistance
  • Other changes to academic, living, dining, transportation, and working situations

Supportive measures will be individualized based on the situation. The measures needed by each party may change over time, and the OIE TIXGE will communicate with parties to ensure that any supportive measures are necessary and effective based on the parties’ evolving needs. An individual may request to receive support – including the measures mentioned in this section – even if they do not choose to participate in a university resolution option.

The Office of Institutional Equity, Title IX and Gender Equity unit is a resource for anyone wanting to learn about resolution options described in the Policy on Sexual Harassment and Sexual Misconduct. Working with Complainants and Respondents, OIE TIXGE aims to ensure that people: 

  • Understand potential options for addressing violations, including the Formal Grievance Process and Adaptable Resolution as described here 
  • Get help initiating an administrative resolution option 
  • Understand any administrative process that might already be underway 
  • Have support and are familiar with campus and community confidential resources 
  • Are offered and receive supportive measures (listed above)
  • Know their rights and what to expect from the university 
  • Receive regular updates during a formal grievance process  

OIE TIXGE does not provide legal advice. Individuals may choose to consult with an attorney at their own expense.  

Request a meeting with an OIE TIXGE Response Coordinator:

If you are an academic or administrative officer (AAO), you have additional responsibilities under University policy. Visit How to Help and view the Resources for Academic/Administrative Officers.  If you are not sure if you are an AAO, click here

OIE TIXGE makes every effort to provide prompt and effective responses to sexual harassment and sexual misconduct, but if you have immediate concerns please contact a 24-hour confidential resource (in the Confidential Resources above) or call 911.

Preserving Evidence

Physical evidence deteriorates quickly, so it's important to act quickly to preserve evidence. Even if you haven't decided whether to make a complaint, preserving evidence will keep your options open if you choose to pursue an investigation in the future. In the context of a Formal Grievance Process, Complainants and Respondents have an opportunity to provide testimony and present evidence to an impartial investigator.

General recommendations for preserving evidence:

  • Do not alter, dispose of, or destroy physical evidence.
  • Create a written record of the incident. Here's a journal template with prompts to help you record information that might be important in a criminal or administrative complaint process.
  • Think about people who were around before, during, or after the incident who might remember details, so you can provide their information to the investigator as potential witnesses. Use caution in speaking with others about the situation as the Interim Policy on Sexual Harassment and Sexual Misconduct prohibits retaliation.  
  • Preserve electronic communication, including text messages and social media posts, by saving them or taking a screenshot.
  • If you are a victim of stalking, maintain a log of stalking-related events and behavior.

Recommendations specific to sexual assault:

  • Get a sexual assault medical exam (see Medical Assistance above) from a trained Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner. It's recommended that you delay showering, bathing, brushing teeth, eating, drinking, or changing clothes until after the exam. Bring a change of clothes with you to the hospital.
  • If you must change clothes, store clothes and bedding that might be used as evidence in a clean paper bag. Do not wash them or put them in a plastic bag.

Criminal Complaints and University Resolutions

Administrative resolutions are separate and distinct from criminal complaints. City and campus police enforce laws and investigate alleged criminal activity. The university enforces policies and investigates alleged violations of university policy. Someone can face consequences through the university for violating university policy even if they are found not to have committed a crime. Additionally, the consequences for being found guilty of committing a crime are different from the consequences for violating university policy.   

See information for Police Assistance below.


If a formal grievance process results in a finding that university policy was violated, one or more sanctions may be imposed. Sanctions will vary based on the facts and circumstances of the particular case. Additional information about sanctions can be found in the Procedure for Alleged Violations of the Policy on Sexual Harassment and Sexual Misconduct and the Sanctioning Guidelines for Sexual Assault.

OIE TIXGE does not provide legal advice. Those involved in a university complaint resolution process may choose to consult with an attorney at their own expense. The following resources are available to those searching for an attorney in the Iowa City area.

IowaCASA's Legal Department

  • IowaCASA helps survivors of sexual assault. For more information, email them at

Student Legal Services Attorney Referral List

  • Contains the contact information for law offices that have expressed interest in obtaining referrals

Iowa State Bar Association's Iowa Find-A-Lawyer page

  • A resource for finding a lawyer by type of law and city

To make a criminal complaint or ask for police assistance:

Emergency: 911

Non-emergency: Non-emergency complaints should be made to the jurisdiction in which the incident took place.

On campus: 

  • University of Iowa Police: (319) 335-5022


  • Iowa City Police: (319) 356-6800
  • Coralville Police: (319) 248-1800
  • Johnson County Sheriff: (319) 356-6020
  • North Liberty Police: (319) 626-5724
  • University Heights Police: (319) 887-6800

Criminal complaints and university administrative complaints

Someone who experiences sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, or stalking may have options for resolution through both law enforcement and the university. 

City and campus police enforce laws and investigate alleged criminal activity. The university enforces policies and investigates alleged violations of university policy. These processes are different and may result in different outcomes and consequences. Police departments may also accept an information only report if someone does not want to move forward with the criminal complaint process. 

University policy provides the option for an Adaptable Resolution, which in some situations provides a way to address concerns without a Formal Grievance Process. You can learn more about administrative resolution options in the Policy on Sexual Harassment and Sexual Misconduct. OIE TIXGE can also provide additional information about resolution options. Call (319) 335-0705 or email us to make an appointment to learn more.