Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
At the University of Iowa, an unwavering commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) is a core value that guides us in everything we do. Our pursuit of excellence in every area of our academic mission depends on our ability to attract a diverse body of students, faculty, and staff, and on our success in ensuring an equitable and inclusive learning and working environment for every member of the Hawkeye family.
The Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DDEI)—which includes the Center for Diversity and Enrichment (CDE), Diversity Resources, and Equal Opportunity and Diversity (EOD)—provides leadership and resources to support DEI efforts campus-wide. DDEI is dedicated to supporting the campus as we implement the 2019-2021 Excellence through Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Action Plan, which provides a detailed roadmap for achieving challenging but attainable goals over these next two years.
This important work will be carried out through campus-wide collaboration, and I encourage every member of the university community to take an active part. Please reach out to DDEI staff with your questions, concerns, and ideas.
I look forward to working with you as we join together to build a stronger university.
Executive Vice President and Provost
- Executive Vice President and Provost
Within the Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, the Center for Diversity and Enrichment (CDE) provides programs and services that support the ability of underrepresented students to thrive and succeed at the University of Iowa. CDE provides services geared towards student enrichment and development, K-12 pipeline and access, community building, and diversity training.
- Within CDE, Campus Outreach Services (COS) provides academic coaching, identity specific programming and activities, personal support, administration of the Advantage Iowa Award, resource referrals, diversity training, peer mentoring, and campus tours for various school districts and community partners. COS also works to help improve campus climate for students with marginalized identities at Iowa.
- Also within CDE, Military and Veteran Student Services (MVSS) provides a resource for utilizing the talents, leadership ability and volunteer power of our veteran and military-affiliated community. Services assist veterans with transition from military to civilian life and with transition to higher education. Services include academic coaching, peer mentoring, and other support programs that meet the unique needs of student veterans. MVSS works to create a veteran and military inclusive campus climate.
- CDE also administers the federally funded TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) and TRIO Upward Bound (UB) programs.
- TRIO SSS assists in developing and enhancing student academic skills, connects them to resources on campus and in the community and provides programming, tutoring and an inclusive space to develop relationships for low-income and first-generation students and/or students with disabilities.
- TRIO UB helps first-generation and low-income high school students prepare for college and understand the college-going process.
Another unit within the Division is the Diversity Resources unit, who provide consultation, resource, and skill-building opportunities for University of Iowa faculty, staff, students and guests in order to foster an inclusive, respectful and equitable university community.
Equal Opportunity and Diversity (EOD) is the final unit within the Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. This office implements diversity policies at the University of Iowa and supports the university’s compliance with federal/state laws and regulations and university policies prohibiting discrimination, harassment, retaliation and sexual harassment by or towards any UI community member.